Much has happened with the Diablo-franchise over past few months, and I have been postponing to write about it too much. At first, I figured I would be fine until BlizzCon – and now we are getting close to the actual release of the expansion! It did not help at all that an early beta-build of the new expansion – Reaper of Souls – was data-mined before I got properly started, which added tons and tons of rather definite things to what was earlier just a mad scramble of loose theories and suggestions, essentially making a post like this rather meaningless. But, as you know, I still like doing this kind of theorizing – and as such, I am going to dig into what we now know (almost) for certain. Oh yeah, and there WILL be spoilers. You were warned.
As 2014 has started, and I have not posted anything at all so far this year, I present to you… a mildly interesting picture from my previous Jetpack Joyride. The intention of this post may, or may not, have been purely because of one person. Nope. Not a chance.
Awake. Silence. Darkness. Those were the first words that popped into my head, after I realized that I was actually awake. The first real challenge was adjusting my eyes to the dim time-display on my clock-radio. 07:29. At this moment, it had been silent for 9 minutes, before I had even registered being awake. And, mind you, that was after its usual 20 minutes of playing music.
It was not until after my bath, about 20 minutes later, that I actually thought up the idea of writing this, while forcing my mind to properly awaken and get ready for the day. It was a day of stories and fun. The day of the “Play & Tell”-conference, starting at 9.
Something I have been wanting to re-visit for quite a while, is some reflections on one of the projects I did during my time at the Game Development course, in this case with some of the creative work done in relation to the project “KNighttime Adventures: A Tale of Toys”, in which shaped most of the story, setting and level design. However, the most fun thing to talk a bit more about in detail, is the latter of those things: The level design.
Not too long ago, I took part in a small side-course, with the subject of “Interactive Screenplay-writing”. One of the many little exercises we went through, was the one I will focus on in this post, as I am actually quite pleased with the pieces I ended up creating. They are based from the simple premise of writing two segments of “10 lines” of text, which had to take part during a funeral and needed to be connected to each other in a way so that they could be read in either order. Despite that, there was total creative freedom. Great challenge.
There is this good old saying that states that “time flies when you are having fun”. It is indeed true, no questions there – except that much of the explanation is probably also my current work with my Master Thesis. Either way, time has flown by so incredibly fast that it has been around 4 full months since my last post (which I think is a new record), and – on top of that – around 3 months since the event I am going to describe: My trip to the Nordic Game Jam 2013, and the thoughts, experiences and results I brought back with me.
Yeah, I know the previous post was posted under 48 hours ago, but at this point I needed to make quick progress and get a version of the game ready that I felt was polished enough to serve as the final product. As such, this will also be the last (official) post regarding the development of “Candy Nightmare”, and fill focus on those last little changes I made from the previous iterations.
For this round of looking at “User Experience and Prototyping”, it is finally time to delve a bit into the development process of going digital. So far, I am currently at the second stage of the process, with the decision that the third session will the final and last – and that is also what I will plan on using my last “official” post on this project on describing: the final prototype. But, for now, let us look at the process and thoughts that went into the current second iteration of the digital version.
Moving fast forward from the previous post on User Experience and Prototyping, all the feedback from the Cultural Probe and other sources had been analysed, and I had gotten quite a nice bit of feedback from my muse to start working on the first part of the development process: The paper prototype. Rather than getting too much into which parts that inspired me, I am going to spend the post explaining the game concept, what changed when showcasing the game to my muse and, finally, quickly dip into what changes is to be expected when the game goes digital very soon™.
I have neglected posting User Experience posts a bit too much lately, and as such the pace will pick up significantly over the next period of time. I know that I mentioned last time that the next post (being this one) would get further into Digital Prototyping, but I have decided to push that a bit. Some things are better off written first, otherwise it is going to be a mess. As such, I will return to the lovely Cultural Probe, and finish off my thoughts about it.